Friday, June 3, 2011

I love to travel. It's what I day dream about and what I save my money for . I even had a travel blog last year to document my cross country road trip. Lately, I've been daydreaming about an extended camping trip this August and a trip to India this Winter. We will see. When I read today's Friend Friday topic, I knew I had to add my voice: Packing.

1.      When it comes to packing for vacation what’s your mantra? 

I don't take the typical luxurious resort vacation. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to but I'm a "get the most bang for your buck" place in my life. My vacations are month long road trips or back packing throughout Europe. As a result, my packing mantra is: Carry on. Carry on. Carry on. Less is more. Not checking baggage cuts down on time and money when flying. Also, I like the freedom of a smaller bag. 
Extreme packing: my life's possessions in the silver truck
2.      What are your must packs? 
Bathing suit. Fancy-ish dress. Even on my cross country camping trip last summer I had a fancy dress. Granted I didn't end up using it, but for a casual person like myself it's good to be prepared for something nice just in case.

3.      What are you happy to leave behind? 

Too much of anything. I am prone to over packing, but I try to check myself and not pack anything I haven't worn in the past couple of months. Chances are I won't be wearing it on the trip either.

4.      Any packing secrets that help you get everything into one
suitcase? 

Roll everything. Pack things in your shoes. If you're bringing boots, and their comfortable, wear them on the flight for more space in your suitcase. Bring travel size cosmetics so you can stay withing flight regulations for carry ons.
This, my friends, was a packing nightmare

5.      Beach reading… what are you taking with you to read in the sand? 
 Lately I've been really into chef memoirs, Blood, Bones and Butter was fantastic. Of course, anything Anthony Bourdain is entertaining. Last summer, I had his Medium Raw and would read it out loud around the campfire to my boyfriend, quite a fond memory. One of the funniest books I've read this year was How Did You Get This Number, by Sloan Crosley. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment