Monday, April 4, 2011

sing for your supper

For several years now I've been hearing about the famous New York Times No-Knead bread recipe. I wanted to try it but always wanted same day results and forgot that it was a 20 hour process. Finally, I tried it and I can't say enough good things about this recipe!
It is shockingly easy. Absolutely no kneading. The only thing is the time, so plan a day ahead.
All you need to do is mix together 3 cups flour, 1/4 tsp INSTANT yeast, 1 1/4 salt. To that add 1 5/8 cup water (I used warm water because I feared killing the yeast but the recipe doesn't mention it). Mix the ingredients a few times till it's all blended. Cover with saran wrap and place someplace moderately warm for 12-18 hours.

After the wait, heavily flour a service and fold the dough over once or twice. I've found the dough to be really sticky and therefore sprinkled a light handful of flour over the dough. Cover with saran wrap for 15 minutes.
Next. Heavily dust a towel or cloth with flour or cornmeal (I prefer the cornmeal for its crunch) and lightly mold dough into a ball. Place on cloth, sprinkle with flour and cover with another cloth for about two hours.
After an hour and half place your cast iron in the oven and heat oven to 450 for half an hour. Place dough in heated cast iron, cover with another cast iron and place in middle wrack for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and cook for additional 15-20 minutes. Done.
It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is the easiest. Not only is it easy and delicious bread but it has the fancy artisan look that will impress everyone around you ;) Next I'm going to experiment with mix-ins. I'm thinking cinnamon and raisins first.
I wanted to have some soup last night with the bread and decided to try the African Sweet Potato Stew recipe posted on the lovely JenLovesKev. The soup was not my favorite, but good. My boyfriend really liked it and I have a feeling it will taste even better today for lunch. 
How's every one's Monday? Mine is rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment