Saturday, March 5, 2011

Talk About A Dream, Try To Make It Real-A Back Story

In June I decided to live out a dream to drive cross country.  I had been in Manhattan for three years and knew it was time to detox from the concrete jungle. I felt I was a west coast soul and wanted to head back to my family and friends.  I quit my job, bought a truck, loaded up whatever belongings I couldn’t sell on craigslist and after a tearful goodbye with my sister, I set off across the George Washington Bridge; and through blinding tears left the beautiful city I'd called home
There was no itinerary, no end date, only open road.  I took a southern route, camping the whole way. What an adventure it was, one I had dreamed of as a young child. To finally realize that dream was so satisfying; there are no regrets at all.

 I drove and drove, met interesting people, slept in beautiful forests, swam in warm lakes and side tripped throughout winding gravel roads.  Sure there were one or two painful nights in rest area parking lots, a brief illness and a rainy night; but as with so many trips, I have nothing but fond memories today.

 My trip took me through several states, five months and countless memories.  With travels continuing in Arizona and the Pacific Northwest. As exhausting as travel can be, I still long to hit the road and spend more time than I should admitted day dreaming my next journey.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even tell you how jealous I am you got to do that. Sounds like an amazing experience and the fact that you're dreaming of doing it again speak volumes about me trying to go one on too!

    Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was SO MUCH FUN. I completely recommend it...then again, I'm a huge fan of road tripping :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adventures and this looks like a fabulous trip. How fab that you traveled for such an extended time too, amazing! xx veronika

    ReplyDelete